Tuesday, May 1, 2012

i carried ever my own world in hands

Words of the author:

What Aladar means saying that? Some time ago, my father gave me a new musical instrument called viola caipira, or simply viola. It is a very typical instrument, besides guitar, of the country music of Brazil. For me it sounds like an old keyboard instrument like clavichord or harpsichord. It has five courses, the first two are only steel strings tuned in unison and the other courses have a nylon string and a steel string tuned an octave up. The instrument had no standard tuning, so that the performer can use it in his own way. There are some most commons ways of tuning and the most used is called "cebolão" ("big onion" - do not ask me why). Personally I use the natural tuning, similar to the guitar (ee bb Gg Dd Aa - the lowercase letters are the highest pitch and the upercase, the lowest), but with the Aa course tuned in Gg, so that I can have a similar range of the violin. I have chosen this tuning, because I already can play guitar and I want to play the works of J. S. Bach originally written for violin on the viola. But it all is only my personal history. What I want to mean is that with the viola I have discovered a new world of sounds and after a very long time I am able to compose again. It is like to have the world in the hands. It is what Aladar means when he said that.

The story is only beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment